The JRC EU POLICY LAB has run a series of citizens’ workshops in six European Member States (Austria, Ireland, Malta, Poland, Spain, Sweden) plus a workshop with international civil society organizations, trade unions and think tanks (between November 2017 and March 2018, about 130 participants) to understand societal actors’ future relationships and future needs on government in 2030+. This research has been reported as three future scenarios and personas, among which our group choose the scenario of “citizen centric Hyper E-Government” and the persona of “Daniel”. Moreover, we also address one Camden Challenge which is “unemployment”.
Foresight: develop visions of possible & preferable futures
Constructive Design, Participatory Design: imagine new realities and build them to see whether they work
Speculative Design: do not to accept existing constraints
Applying New Technologies
1) AI: The term “artificial intelligence” is applied when a machine mimics “cognitive” functions that humans associate with other human minds, such as “learning” and “problem solving” (Russell, 2009).
2) VR: An entirely unreal 3d environment that you can “enter”.
3) IE: The feeling of being totally immersed in the virtual environment and thus disconnected from “real” reality, but with the capability to touch and affect the same virtual environment through actions.
4) SG: Serious gamification is a simulation that has added elements of game for a primary purpose, such as a story, tasks/goals, feedback and play.
What if the government uses the ‘Immersive Serious Gamification (ISG)’ to involve citizens in decision making in 2030+?
- What if every citizen could have the opportunity to immerse themselves into a Virtual Reality to simulate policy making so influencing the government future assets?
- What if, doing so, we could understand previously and more accurately which actions could bring the world to the desired future scenario?
Proposed Decision Making Model Supported by the ISG
Prototype – video
00:50 – 01:55 Proposition of our new model of governance for decision making
01:56 – 02:24 Chosen persona given by JRC – Daniel
02:25 – 04:15 Daniel`s future scenario (Recommended for watching)